Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Nov 2021 20:23:48 GMT by Andrew12345
I am non-resident (resident in EU in a country with a double taxation agreement with uk) but I use a crypto-exchange that is based in the UK to sell my bitcoins bought abroad. I then withdraw the money to a foreign account in my country of residence. Do I have to pay or declare anything in UK assuming that I am not trading and only get Capital Gains (not trading)? My guess is that non-uk residents do not pay for Capital Gains and that, according to the hmrc own guidance, the bitcoins are considered as being in the place of residence of the owner at the time of selling them. Thank you
Posted Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:50:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please see guidance here on clarification of the location of the exchange tokens.

If they are based on the country of residence of the owner then you would not need to declare any capital gains to the UK.

See link:

Cryptoassets Manual   .

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 02 Apr 2022 11:33:35 GMT by Andrew12345
Thank you for confirmation, I understand that 1/ As not Uk-resident, today I don’t have to declare any capital gains in the UK for the sell of echange e even if the exchange I have used is based in the UK, because they are considered non-Uk sourced 2/For further clarification, as this is a very dynamic area, even if exchange tokens were considered as UK-sourced (for example because what is considered to determine the location is the situs of the exchange), a non-UK resident would not need to declare any Capital Gains as the tokens are not Uk residential or not-residential property or land but movable property. Could you confirm? Thank you
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:20:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

Details of non resident capital gains are at:

Capital Gains Manual

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.