Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Jul 2022 14:10:34 GMT by Charlotte1
Hi, I've left the UK and have recently received a cheque for a refund on overpaid taxes. I'm not sure if I have a way of cashing this in Portugal, as the cheque is in pounds. I was wondering if it's possible to request a bank transfer from HMRC (and cancel the cheque)? Thank you
Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 06:52:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Charlotte1,

If you are unable to cash the cheque, you will need to contact our Income Tax department to ask if we are able to send it by another method.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 11:33:19 GMT by Charlotte1
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Wed, 10 Aug 2022 07:46:01 GMT by foreignuser2
Hi Charlotte1, I am facing the same issue. Contacting their Income Tax department won't help. I have done this before. They give you the same reply, cheque or nominee. They don't have another method for tax refunds. So, like with me, the money is lost, and will remain with HMRC.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.