Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 15:12:28 GMT by noxskuses75
I've been on hold to HMRC support for the past hour and just got cut off so hoping I'll find the answer to my question here. Doing my self-assessment tax return online. Profit is over £6515 but Class 2 NICs contribution showing as £0.00? Does anyone know why and how I fix it? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 07:37:04 GMT by noxskuses75
HMRC admin??? I can't complete my tax return unless I get an answer to this.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 14:33:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If the class 2 is not showing, you may not be registered for Self Employment on our records.

If you are not registered you would need to put through a registration for Self Employment, I can't be sure if you are registered as
we can't check your records from this forum. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 15:07:21 GMT by noxskuses75
I have a Government Gateway user ID, receive notifications from HMRC and can log in to HMRC online services to complete my self-assessment tax return. Surely that means I'm registered for Self Employment on your records? Am I meant to register separately for NICs? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 08:23:48 GMT by noxskuses75
HMRC admin??? I can't complete my tax return until I get an answer to this.
Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 15:45:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi noxskuses75

This would mean that you are registered for Self Assessment, which you can do without registering as Self-Employed.
If you register for Self-Employment, this would register you for Self-Assessment at the same time.
This would allow you to complete the return, however it would not generate a class 2 Bill.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.