Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 06 Apr 2023 01:56:48 GMT by
Hi, I file a paper copy of SA100 every year because I live abroad. This morning when I try to download the 2023 SA100 form from HMRC web site, I notice that the document title had "for reference only" attached to it. Please confirm I can still download and use this copy from HMRC web site or do I have to order and use a paper copy from HMRC? Thanks Wing Sham
Posted Mon, 17 Apr 2023 07:55:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you need to complete a paper return you will need to contact our Self Assessment team as the online version is for reference only.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 06:58:04 GMT by
Why is HMRC making it so hard for foreigners to file our returns? We can't file on line, now we can't even download the forms, print and file. It takes about 2-3 months for HMRC to send us a paper form since we live in Bangkok. This is just so utterly inefficient?
Posted Sat, 06 May 2023 08:16:53 GMT by Kevin Lloyd
Hi. I too usually download the forms for my wife and I, primarily because for some reason any mail sent by HMRC to my home in Thailand never arrives and HMRC instructed me to use the download option. I did manage to web chat with HMRC online, they did not seem to know the forms are no longer available online and couldn’t help me. I also contacted the non residents landlord team - they couldn’t help me. The main contact centre is simply unavailable. So - we want to submit our self assessment but HMRC does not give us access to the forms. Please HMRC, tell us what to do (and don’t say call the contact centre - you cannot). Thanks…
Posted Sun, 07 May 2023 00:33:31 GMT by Kevin Lloyd
Please, please, please put the self assessment tax return SA100 on your website for download, just like in previous years. This is crazy!! How are people supposed to submit their tax information when the return is unavailable. Whoever created this years HMRC Business Processes needs to be examined… The post option does not work…… Thanks 
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 07:28:26 GMT by JohhnyForeigner
Same situation here, have submitted downloaded forms from outside of the UK for the past 10 years because most years the paper one never arrives. I came to look for this years and then see that its apparently for reference only and am supposed to now call and request a paper one. It's bad enough having to submit a paper form when there's no technical reason we can't all submit electronically. What kind of logic is this? It's a complete backward step and the cynical amongst us may well think its an attempt to make us incur penalties for late/ non submission.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 11:54:47 GMT by
The paper SA100 & SA109 forms arrive today!! Instead of a color booklet (used to be for previous years) SA100 is printed on five loose sheets of A4 paper, in black and white and double-sided. I noticed that my UTR number is printed at the bottom of every pages of the paper SA100 form (This wasn't the case for last year). The contents between the paper and the web version looks the same but in terms of presentation there are some differences, on page TR5, the 6 boxes of the Marriage Allowance section are now shifted forward to page TR6 (looks like there isn't enough space on page TR5 for these boxes) and everything from page TR6 onward are also shifted forward accordingly, the last page of the paper SA100 form is now page TR9. The paper SA109 form is printed on 4 loose sheets of A4 paper, in black and white but single-sided. My UTR number is NOT printed on the paper SA109. There is no difference between the paper SA109 and the web version of SA109 on HMRC web site, may be that is why HMRC allows you to download SA109. I shall try the commercial software next year, found one very easy to use (located at the top part of the HMRC approved commercial software supplier list) no need to create any account just download and install their software, operate it in evaluation mode ( no time limit), fill in the SA100/109, the software would check and even calculate the tax for you. When you are ready to submit the forms, just purchase a licence, it only cost 16 pounds/tax return. The only problem using commercial software (according to their web site) is - you must have government gateway ID/password and have filed tax return on-line before, I have both so shall give it a try next year.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 15:02:29 GMT by Kevin Lloyd
Hi Wingsham. I relented and ended up using 123 e-filing (one of the HMRC recommended commercial software suppliers) and I have to say it was great. Easy to use and sign up for and cost only £15 and after I completed it I got an immediate email confirmation from HMRC that my return had been submitted. Here’s my question though. Why do HMRC not allow non-residents to file online via their portal but allow it through third party software companies… What a weird government department this is….Come on HMRC, sort it out!,
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 16:05:18 GMT by
Forgot to mention that I noticed my home address printed on the paper SA100 form had one line missing but somehow I still manage to receive the forms today. Looks like it only prints 5 lines for the delivery mail address. The first line is for your name and the next 4 lines for your address. So, I have 5 lines for my home address, it is the 4th line of my home address is missing on the paper form that I received today. I wonder would this had anything to do with people not receive any mail from HMRC!! There is a dedicated phone number for forms ordering other than the general enquiry number, I found it quite easy to get through. The number is +441619308331 (calling from outside UK).
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 16:51:50 GMT by
Hi Kevin. Thanks for the info, I shall try that next year.
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 13:52:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi adrey low,

"The way we ask you to your Self Assessment return is changing from this year – we are asking customers to file their return online and won’t automatically be sending a paper return.
Almost 97% of customers already file their Self Assessment tax returns online. The benefits include:
• more time to file –  until 31 January 2024 if you file online, rather than 31 October 2023 for paper returns
• less chance of making an error in your return – we’ll fill in information for you that we already have, guidance is available at every step, and you can amend your return after submitting it too
• a quicker refund, if you’re owed one 
• saving paper, to help the environment.
Start your return online
You’ll get another letter soon telling you to file your return (it’s called a ‘notice to file’). To start your return online:
1. go to GOV.UK and search ‘Self Assessment’
2. choose ‘File your Self Assessment tax return online’.
You’ll also find support – including videos –- to guide you through the process. The SA paper return on GOV.UK will remain for reference only, as we know being able to view the form is helpful if you're filing for the first time or if you support friends, family or clients with Self Assessment returns, so we have made it available for your reference.
We know it can take time to get used to a different way of filing your return, and to gather the information you need. You don’t have to complete your online return all in one go, you can save what you’ve done and pick up where you left off later.
You can also amend your return online after you’ve sent it, without having to contact us. All of this can be done in the HMRC App and online.
As soon as you file your return online, you’ll get an acknowledgement that we’ve received it. You’ll also have a digital record of your tax return whenever you need to access it, with no need to keep a paper copy.
If you decide not to file your return online, you can call us from 6 April on 0300 200 3610 to ask for a paper return. We may ask you about your reasons for not filing online, so we can tell you about the support we can offer you to go online. If you file a paper return, you must do so by 31 October 2023.
If you have someone who helps you with your tax affairs, you may want to inform them."

Thank you,

Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 13:59:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Kevin Lloyd,

The way we ask you to your Self Assessment return is changing from this year – we are asking customers to file their return online and won’t automatically be sending a paper return.
Almost 97% of customers already file their Self Assessment tax returns online. The benefits include:

• more time to file –  until 31 January 2024 if you file online, rather than 31 October 2023 for paper returns
• less chance of making an error in your return – we’ll fill in information for you that we already have, guidance is available at every step, and you can amend your return after submitting it too
• a quicker refund, if you’re owed one 
• saving paper, to help the environment.

Start your return online

You’ll get another letter soon telling you to file your return (it’s called a ‘notice to file’). To start your return online:
1. go to GOV.UK and search ‘Self Assessment’
2. choose ‘File your Self Assessment tax return online’.

You’ll also find support – including videos –- to guide you through the process. The SA paper return on GOV.UK will remain for reference only, as we know being able to view the form is helpful if you're filing for the first time or if you support friends, family or clients with Self Assessment returns, so we have made it available for your reference.

We know it can take time to get used to a different way of filing your return, and to gather the information you need. You don’t have to complete your online return all in one go, you can save what you’ve done and pick up where you left off later.

You can also amend your return online after you’ve sent it, without having to contact us. All of this can be done in the HMRC App and online.
As soon as you file your return online, you’ll get an acknowledgement that we’ve received it. You’ll also have a digital record of your tax return whenever you need to access it, with no need to keep a paper copy.

If you decide not to file your return online, you can call us from 6 April on 0300 200 3610 to ask for a paper return. We may ask you about your reasons for not filing online, so we can tell you about the support we can offer you to go online. If you file a paper return, you must do so by 31 October 2023.

If you have someone who helps you with your tax affairs, you may want to inform them.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 15:09:33 GMT by Kevin Lloyd
Hi HMRC, When I try to file online via the HMRC portal it states that non residents (I.e. me) cannot. Has this now changed?
Posted Sat, 13 May 2023 11:35:30 GMT by Andy Brown
The response from HMRC Admin 20 is somewhat disturbing as it does not seem to answer the concerns expressed in this forum. Admin 20 has declared that Self Assessment is now all online. I used online self assessment for many years when resident in UK but found that I was barred from doing so when I became resident in France. As others have mentioned, I then downloaded the paper form and returned the self assessment on paper. It appears now that HMRC are doing their utmost to penalise UK tax payers for living abroad. Following Admin 20's advice, I have accessed the online self assessment only to note that it still states that it cannot be used if I was non resident for the tax year for which I am returning a self assessment. Left hand, right hand?????
Posted Sat, 13 May 2023 15:49:25 GMT by
The thing is that you can say that many are using the internet, my grandad try it and I help, but the portal would not verify his name and we can't open an online account. He doesn't have a passport either, so this had become a real struggle. I was able to help by downloading the paper form now isn't possible can you let me know what to do otherwise? I call last time and HMRC would not answer if did the call went dead after 1 minute of waiting for someone to respond. This is about taxes and all the forms available should be widely accessible for anyone to process their UK taxes.
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 11:52:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Kevin Lloyd
As a non resident taxpayer, you need to purchase 3rd party commercial software, that includes the residence section.  
You complete the full tax return provided by the software provider and submit it electronically.  
There is a list of providers at (Self Assessment commercial software suppliers).  
The commercial software suppliers can submit one or more elements of the tax return and supplementary pages to HMRC.  
In each case HMRC will accept valid tax returns, supplementary pages and attachments for the products listed.  
HMRC cannot recommend or endorse any one product or service over another and will not be responsible for any loss, damage, cost or expense in connection with using this software.
Thankyou.
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 13:29:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi YBE Beltran,

Starting this year he will need to contact us by telephone or in writing to request the tax return -

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 14:11:43 GMT by
Why can I no longer print off form SA100 as I've done for years? Please put it back on the website with the other SA forms! Managed to find and print off SA101 and Capital Gains forms, and I have today requested (by phone) a paper SA100. I'm in UK, I have filed online in the past, but I prefer to do all my preparatory work on paper. I then know I haven't missed anything because I have the paper version beside me when filling in the online return, ticking off each figure on the paper as I enter it online. Filing online takes you just to the bits of the form HMRC think you need to fill in, which I've always found unsatisfactory. (I do now have an accountant to help me). Please don't reply that you want everyone to file online (I know that) but then remove access to the paper form that enables people like me to file online with confidence that they haven't missed anything. And not everyone CAN file online, for many reasons. Bring back SA100!
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:41:30 GMT by
Found the SA 100! Via another posting, I went to www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-tax-return-sa100 and there it is, though marked 'for reference only', so maybe no help for those who want to complete and submit a paper return,but it printed off OK. PLUS, I also found in the same place the vital 'How to fill in your tax return (2023)' (aka Tax Return Notes; SA150) AND all the 'supplementary pages'. So, I can now get on with compiling my tax return. I'll have the essential 'notes' to hand to check for any changes in tax rules and 'what goes where' since last time as I work through completing the SA100 and any supplementary pages. Why isn't all this information on the self-assessment main page? It should be, especially as the telephone helpline is out of action till September. Assembling, totalling and recording everything on the paper forms takes me several hours. Filing online takes me about 30 minutes because I'm properly prepared. Some years ago, I was selected for investigation of my self-assessment submission. This took time, but it was much easier because I had a paper record and supporting evidence, and no action was needed. Please, HMRC, keep your processes as straightforward as possible for us. You at HMRC deal with these matters every day. We taxpayers deal with them once a year and need easy-to-find instructions and a way of keeping a paper record.Hope this post helps others. UK resident.
Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 14:24:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We have given feedback from taxpayers regarding the removal of the SA100 from the GOV.UK website.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.