Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:38:47 GMT by Agger05
Hello, My wife and I moved to the UK in July last year and now is the time to review our first self assessment tax return. For me I had foreign income so I know I have to do one. For my wife she did not have any UK income or foreign income, so she does not need to do one for the last tax year. Per my understanding if my wife does not need to do a tax return for the last tax year, it is also not necessary for her to inform HMRC that she is not doing one. Please review and confirm if my understanding is correct. Thank you very much.
Posted Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:04:39 GMT by yorkiechick
If your wife has not been issued with a Self-Assessment tax return, then there's nothing she needs to do.
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:20:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

There would be no need to inform HMRC if we have not requested a return.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:38:01 GMT by Agger05
Hello, Thank you both.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.