Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:42:51 GMT by Hiu Young
I was a non-resident landlord in tax year 2020-21 and became UK resident in tax year 2021-22. Before I was approved to be a non-resident landlord, tax had been deducted from my rental income by my letting agent. After I got approved the paid tax was refunded to me. But as the refund was received after 9 Apr 2021 and I filled in the tax return 2020-21 on cash basis, the refund of tax was not recorded in 2020-21 tax return (that means in 2020-21 tax return it treated me as already paid the income tax). I think I am supposed to include the tax refund in 2021-22 self assessment so that I can pay back the correct amount of tax (for rental income in 2020-21). May I know where should I fill in this amount in the self assessment? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:55:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you have already submitted the return showing the tax deducted then you will need to amend the return at
page 6 - have you had any tax refunded.

If you have not submitted the return, do not include any tax deducted on the rental page.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 14 Sep 2022 10:45:03 GMT by Hiu Young
Hi, thank you for the advice. My tax return for 2020-21 was submitted last year. Does it mean I should amend the return for 2020-21 instead of showing the amount in 2021-22's return? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Sep 2022 13:24:14 GMT by Hiu Young
And may I know how to amend a submitted paper return of 2020-21? Should I send the amended page 6 only and post to HMRC? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:09:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Hiu Young,

Yes you need to amend the 20/21 tax return as the refund relates to that year.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:12:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Hiu Young,

If you submitted the return online, you can amend it online.
If not, you can send a letter to advise what has happended and HMRC will amend it -
PAYE & Self Assessment,

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.