Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 05 Jul 2022 15:23:36 GMT by May 2022
I became UK tax resident on 10 August 2021. I have a local employment since September 2021 that tax was deducted via PAYE. However I had overseas income from Hong Kong before 10 August 2021, I have no overseas income and capital gain, and less than £5 interest from bank after that day till 5 April 2022. Do I need to file Self Assessment?
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 09:54:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Based on the information provided, you are not required to submit a 2022 Self Assessment tax return.

Please check the position by using the Self Assessment criteria tool.  

See link:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return  .  

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 23:45:50 GMT by derek_hker Chan
Hi HMRC Admin, I have a similar situation to the previous questioner, May 2022. I became UK tax resident on 10 August 2021. I have a local employment since September 2021 that tax was deducted via PAYE. However I had overseas income from Hong Kong before 10 August 2021, I have no overseas income and capital gain, and less than £5 interest from bank after that day till 5 April 2022. It is very clear that I do not required to submit a 2022 Self Assessment tax return. However, what if: 1. my wage from Hong Kong, which is oversea income, credit to my bank account after 10 August 2021, 2. I withdrawed my Hong Kong State Pension fund (MPF). And the money credit to my bank account after 10 August 2021, 3. I sold out all of my investment, such as stocks, on 9 August 2021. The stocks are cleared and settled on two days after the trade day in Hong Kong, so the money credit to my bank accout on 11 August 2021. Also, some dividend credit to my bank account after 11 August 2021, Do I need to file Self Assessment in the above situation 1, 2 and 3? Thank you
Posted Thu, 07 Jul 2022 13:58:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi derek_hker Chan,

Please refer to guidance at:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Jul 2022 15:11:17 GMT by derek_hker Chan
Hi HMRC Admin, Thank you for your reply. I would like to ask a follow up questions. What kind of accountancy principles to apply to work out income and expenses for my Self Assessment tax return? 'Cash basis' or 'Accruals basis' ie. I was not a business, self-employed, sole trader or partner. I was just an employee in Hong Kong.
Posted Fri, 08 Jul 2022 13:04:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 30
Hi, 

Neither of these principles apply to PAYE income. Any expenses for PAYE employment must be wholly, necessarily and exclusively in the performance of your duties and ones that everyone doing the same job would incur. 

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 08 Jul 2022 21:52:58 GMT by derek_hker Chan
Hi HMRC Admin, Thank you for your reply. I have resigned on 8 August 2021 and left my job in the same day at Hong Kong. I arrived the UK and became UK tax resident on 10 August 2021. However, my last salary payment from my Hong Kong ex-employer credit to my Hong Kong bank account on 15 August 2021. So do I need to submit a 2022 Self Assessment tax return, fill in the SA100 to report this payment as a Foreign Income this to HRMC? i.e. 1. This payment was taxable in Hong Kong and I paid all the tax related to my salary (tax clearance in Hong Kong) 2. The nature of my job in Hong Kong has nothing to do with the UK. 3. Under Article 14 of the Double Taxation Treaty with Hong Kong, salaries, wages and other similar remuneration derived by a resident of a Contracting Party in respect of an employment shall be taxable only in that Party.
Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2022 13:09:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Please note that under the circumstances you have outlined, you would not be required (under the Split Year Treatment rules)
to declare any of the HK employment income you earned before you arrived in (and became a resident of) the UK.    

See link:

Residence, Domicile and Remittance Basis Manual     .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Jul 2022 08:24:24 GMT by Holly
Hello, I am currently employed full-time with a company, However Intend to pick up some freelance work separately from the company I work for soon. The income from the freelance job will total up to be under £500. My question is do I declare this and if so how? With a self-assement form? Thanks
Posted Wed, 13 Jul 2022 08:24:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If your freelance/self-employed income is less than £1000 (and therefore covered by the Trading Income Allowance)
you do not have to complete a Self Assessment tax return.

You can check the position by using the Self Assessment Criteria tool.     

see links:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return   and   :

Tax-free allowances on property and trading income   .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Jul 2022 10:26:36 GMT by Wai Ping Choy
Hello. I moved to the UK in Sept 2021. I used to have full time job in HK and resigned in Sept 2021. I cleared my income tax in HK before migration to the UK and I am unemployed. I have collected my HK state pension fund (MPF) in Nov 2021, it is credited to my account. Under the double tax agreement, do I still have to submit a 2022 self-assessment tax return form? If yes, which form do I have to submit?
Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 14:14:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi,

You do not need to do a tax return as the Hong Kong pension is not taxable in the UK, and should not be declared here.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 15 Jul 2022 08:57:24 GMT by Sydney
Hi, Seeking clarity on a similar question! I moved to the UK in August 2021 on a spouse visa from the US (where I am a citizen). After moving, I stopped collecting employment income in the US and became employed full-time in the UK; however, I still have some investment accounts in the US. I have already paid my taxes in the US (including on capital gains from my investment accounts). Do I still need to complete a self-assessment to declare my investments as a part of my worldwide income for the UK tax year even though I have already been taxed by the US?
Posted Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:02:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You will need to declare any interest/dividends that have arisen since your arrival.

If tax has been paid, you can claim foreign tax credit relief to reduce any UK tax liability.

Guidance can be found at :

Tax on foreign income  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.