Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 07 May 2022 14:12:17 GMT by Shelly G
I am an employee with a salary sacrifice arrangement for my pension, I am a 40% tax payer. I have for the first time made some AVCs. Please can you confirm the correct box and calculation for my self assessment return, is it as follows : 1. £1000 to my employer's recommended AVC provider, which has been processed by my employer's payroll department and deducted from my pay. They advise "Each member’s AVC receives tax relief at the employees marginal rate.You will receive automatic tax relief on your contributions when they are deduced from your gross salary and also on your investment growth. " Do I put this into the first of the 4 boxes "Payments to registered pension schemes (Also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called Relief at source). Enter the payments and basic rate tax" and as the amount enter the ‘grossed up’ contribution here i.e. physically paid + basic rate relief, so in this case £1250? 2. £4330 via a transfer from my bank account to a personal pension provider Nutmeg Do I put this into pension box 2 "payments to a retirement annuity contract where basic rate tax relief will not be claimed by your provider? And the amount just £4330? Thanks
Posted Tue, 10 May 2022 14:09:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If the payments are deducted from the gross salary before tax is calculated, there would not be additional tax relief to claim.

You would only be claiming tax relief if the contributions were taken after you had paid tax on the income.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.