Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 19 Jan 2022 20:30:52 GMT by Barry Wood
I've heard I can claim a working from home allowance in my self-assessment tax return. I'm filling out my return for the year 20/21, but I don't see any mention of it anywhere. The only place I can see it mentioned is here: https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home, where it instructs me that I need to include it in my tax return. But where?!
Posted Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:53:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Barry Wood,

You need to answer yes to the question on the employment section that asks if you wish to claim employment expenses, this will open a section later on where you can claim the allowance.

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:35:58 GMT by sd27
Hi @HMRC Admin 20 I have amended my self assessment return for the period 2020/21 now to include work from home allowance of 312 pounds. But I am not able to amend my return for 2019/20. Is there any way I can claim the work from home allowance for the period 2019/20? Thanks
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:51:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

It will need to be done in writing.

Please see here regarding changes to earlier years returns.

See link:

Self Assessment tax returns    .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:51:27 GMT by Mike W
How do we claim this tax relief for 2021/22? I've ticked the box "Do you want to claim other tax reliefs and deductions, for example, community investment tax relief, venture capital trust shares, maintenance / alimony payments?" - but I can't find anywhere under "Other tax relief and deductions" to claim this.
Posted Thu, 21 Apr 2022 09:20:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mike W,

If you are looking to claim the Working From Home expenses, this is done on the employment page, by answering yes to the question that asks about claiming employment expenses, you then enter the figure under 'other expenses and capital allowances'.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 21:32:03 GMT by drichardson25
Hi, I am really struggling to activate the correct section in my 20/21 return to activate the section needed to add in the £312 tax relief for working from home expenses. I appreciate the comments above but unless there are explicit instructions that correspond with the wording in my tax return I am not able to add the tax relief and feel like I am going round in circles. Is anyone able to provide explicit wording/instructions to activate the correct section that correspond to the wording that I see on screen in my SA return? Thankyou.
Posted Thu, 05 May 2022 12:43:43 GMT by drichardson25
Challenge overcome, after selecting most options and then removing if that option is not needed, I've managed to resolve this. It is not straight forward by a long shot and tax doesn't have to be taxing we are told .... hmmm maybe it's just me then ;-) Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.