Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 09 Jul 2023 10:04:50 GMT by
Hi, I'm employed to my employer and pay my tax through PAYE. I'm moving back to my home country India in 5 days. I've a pending self assessment for the financial year 2022-2023. I've filled form SA1 for the self assessment registration today. The HMRC's website says that I'll receive my UTR number via post in 10 days and it will become available sooner on the HMRC's website and the app. I'm flying to India in 5 days. Is it possible to file my self assessment from India (abroad)? I understand it should be possible as long as I can log into my HMRC's account. Please advice.
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:49:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ali,

If you have a government gateway user ID and password, you will be able to submit your return online from India.  
You can also contact HMRC at Self Assessment: general enquiries to obtain your UTR.
Can you also complete form P85, to let HMRC know you are leaving the UK.  
The form can be found at Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK.  
Can I also ask that you review the guidance on residence and complete the tests at RDR3, so that you can determine your residence position for this tax year.
RDR3 Statutory Residence Test.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.