Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 09 Feb 2022 20:57:45 GMT by Mike T
Does the blogger have to pay tax? Besides my full-time job, I write a blog having some affiliate links. If people click and use the links to buy a product or use a service, I’ll receive referral fees. I wonder if I’m a sole trader or self-employed (on top of my full-time employment) and have to pay tax. Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted Thu, 10 Feb 2022 14:29:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

Please see guidance here to determine if this is classed as a sole trader or just casual earnings:

Working for yourself


Posted Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:44:32 GMT by Mike T
Dear Sirs Thank you for your reply. After reading "Working for yourself", and also "How did you receive your additional income?", It looks like the description doesn't apply to the bloggers, and hence it seems that I don't have to pay the tax. Then I also look at "Check employment status for tax (CEST)", Again, it seems it doesn't apply as there is no contract in place for the bloggers. May you please advise further? Many thanks.
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:39:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you do not meet the conditions for working for yourself then any income you receive for this would be classed as causal earnings. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.