Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Nov 2021 13:43:36 GMT by Kenneth MacInnes
I received foreign income in the tax year 2020-21. To clarify, I work as a translator and it was a one-off payment by a foreign institution, so I regard it as "self-employed income". I did not pay tax there, as I gave them a certificate of fiscal residence that I am in the UK. I want to declare this income in my UK tax return. I am having trouble working out which box I should click on for the page "Foreign income details (Page 2 of 2)", where I am asked "Which of the following types of income or gain did you receive from overseas sources?" In my mind, I could click one of two options: 1. "All other income received by a person abroad and any remitted 'ring fenced' foreign income" 2. "Any other overseas income and gains" But I do not know which one. Can anyone suggest? Do I need to provide any further information to answer this question?
Posted Wed, 10 Nov 2021 14:50:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 10

If no tax was paid in the other country then you would not need to enter this under the foreign section.

You can delete this entire section from your online form if you are filing online.

If filing on paper, then you do not need to complete the SA106 at all.  

You would enter this only as self employed income. 


Posted Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:07:11 GMT by Kenneth MacInnes
Thank you very much for this clarification.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.