Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 23 Aug 2022 21:42:55 GMT by Judith Spear
I've just found out my 99 year old grandmother needs to complete a self assessment to report her rental income which contributes to her care home fees. Due to her advanced dementia, we have lasting power of attorney for her. I can see how I need to inform HMRC of this, but I'm unsure if we should register her for a self-assessment login with HMRC first or inform HMRC of the power of attorney before we do this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:16:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You should supply a certified copy of the power of attorney first to then let you apply for the UTR.
Please note, care home fees cannot be used as a deduction on the rental income when you come to file the return.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.