Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 10 Nov 2022 22:17:52 GMT by Ross Wilkie
I have recently applied to do a self-assessment tax return for year 21-22, in an attempt to calculate my tax bill due to the £1800 (approx.) child benefits received for that financial year. Based on my P60, my pay for that year is £57,289 and my tax paid was £12,497. After submitting my on-line tax form for 21-22, which specifically asked for the P60 total pay for the year and also the total tax sums as included above, I was expecting my self-assessment form to calculate that my tax owed for that year to be £1400 (approx); however, it's calculated this at just over £700 (approx). I do receive a car allowance, but I assume my P60 includes this and deducts my pension contributions also. Is there some other information that I'm not properly submitting when completing my on-lineself-assessment form?
Posted Tue, 15 Nov 2022 12:38:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you contact our Self Assessment team, we can view the calculation and compare the information you entered on the return to our records to identify the difference.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 16 Nov 2022 19:05:42 GMT by shakhan1442
Hello I am comparing third party online software to filing my SA, as they offer the service of checking my return before submitting it via their integrated feature. However there are slight differences between different softwares, software such as ABCSA asks me "How many children are you getting child benefit for on 5th April 2022", whereas another software: gosimpletax asks me "How many children did you get child benefit for in the year?". I had 3 children receiving child benefit at the start of the year, then later I had only 2 children getting it. I am confused and wondering which software is correct as depending on the question, the answer would be different. Also, if its only the child benefit, can i call to pay this back instead of filing SA? Thanks!

[Website addresses removed - Admin]
Posted Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:07:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi shakhan1442
The amount would be paid back through Self Assessment, third party software can vary from provider to provider, both of the examples you gave are valid.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.