Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 06:31:59 GMT by
My wife and I submitted our 2022-23 paper tax returns using the Royal Mail Signed For service on 31 Mat 2023. The Royal Mail website does not indicate that they have been signed for so it may be that they have been lost in the post. How can I confirm whether or not HMRC has received them, and if they are lost, can we submit the photocopies that I have?
Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 08:20:49 GMT by
Hi, I been in similar situation, Royal Mail Track & Trace shows the mail item stuck at mailing centre for 3 weeks. I phoned Royal Mail, the advisor said he is 100% that it has been delivered with no signature and the item has not got lost. The advisor is right as I then found out that HMRC had received my return.
Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:26:02 GMT by
Hello, Thanks but I understand that HMRC has closed the Self Assessment phone line until September so how can I find out for certain if our returns have been received by them and, if they haven't, will HMRC accept photocopies of the originals? Mike
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 09:47:42 GMT by
Hi Mike, I have on-line tax account so I can login via government gateway to see if HMRC had received my tax return or not. If you have not got on-line tax account, I think you can try the on-line service "Digital Assistant" (link below). I have not used this service before so can't comment on how easy to connect to an agent if the assistant unable to answer your question (if you do get through to the agent, may be you can also ask if you are allowed to send photocopies of the original). https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/ask-hmrc/chat/self-assessment I have confirmation from this forum and spoken to HMRC agent that you are OK to submit the tax return (same year) twice, provides they are identical. If HMRC received both returns, they would ignore the second one. I am not sure the second copy can be just photocopies of the original. If possible I would fill in a second copy with signature and new date. HMRC - Please advise if I have to submit the tax return (same tax year) again, can I use photocopies of the original? Thanks
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 13:27:00 GMT by
HMRC, Please advise if I have to submit the tax return (same tax year) again as it appears to have been lost in the post, can I use photocopies of the original? Mike Day
Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 14:37:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi mikeday,

If you use our webchat service we can confirm if the returns were received
Self Assessment: general enquiries.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 15:54:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi mikeday,

Yes you can do this.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:44:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi mikeday,

The helpline is closed however our webchat service is available. 

Self Assessment: general enquiries

You can send a copy if needed.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.