Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:38:52 GMT by maja0088
Hi! I wanted to register as a freelancer in the UK and make a self-assessment. However, I cannot verify my identity with HMRC as I come from an EU country, have a right to work in the UK through pre-settled status, but don't have a UK-issued driver's licence or national insurance number. What can I do in this case as I can't use the services until I'm verified?
Posted Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:51:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi maja0088,

You will need to register by post.

Please see the 'register by post' section:

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:11:56 GMT by geo
Hi Admin 25, the form linked where it says 'Register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance by filling in a form on-screen then printing it off and posting it to HMRC' is broken / unavailable. The following page redirects to an error message. Do you know if there's any alternative option to complete the process for EU nationals not able to register online? Thank you
Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 10:57:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25

If the link is not working, please contact our Income Tax team. 

You can find the contact details here: 

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.