Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Jul 2022 10:25:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 24

You will not include the Belgian state pension on the tax return, you can make reference to the 2012 Protocol amending the 1987 UK/Belgium DTC and Article 19.

When you complete the return, complete sction 6 if you wish to claim a refund.

As this income is no longer taxable in the UK, you should not be asked to pay in advance unless you have another source of untaxed income.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Jul 2022 12:07:03 GMT by VictorHamesse
That's great, thanks. Appreciate your quick reply. A further question please - as I will now no longer have any non-UK income, do I need to continue to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Form for future years ? Will the system recognise that the Belgian Pension income is not UK taxable ? Thanks
Posted Tue, 05 Jul 2022 10:12:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you have no other self assessment criteria you no longer need to complete a tax return.

You do not need to declare the Belgian state pension so there isn't anything for the system to recognise.

You may wish to phone to have the return cancelled on 0300 200 3310 .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:51:10 GMT by m a Potter
I also was hit by the Belgian tax authority. I contacted HMRC SA team and was advised I could correct my return and reduce my UK tax liability. I did this with the help of an HMRC agent and it has all been amended.
Posted Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:28:49 GMT by VictorHamesse
->m a Potter For which tax years did the Belgian tax folks levy tax ?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.