Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:49:33 GMT by Mark Frogley
Hi. Complete novice here. I know very little about tax and NI, so please forgive ignorance. I have been working for the same employer (in the public sector) for several years. Obviously all tax and NI deducted at source. Then around 18 months ago I started doing a bit of additional work in my spare time for a private company (all with the permission of my primary employer). The combined income from primary and secondary employment took me over the 40% tax threshold. Income tax on that secondary income was initially done through self-assessment. My work for the private company was intended to be only temporary. However, a couple of weeks ago the company offered me a long-term contract and wants to put me on the payroll for tax purposes. I am perfectly happy with that arrangement. However, my question is: Will the private company be aware that the income they pay me takes my total income (including my primary employment) over the 40% threshold, and will they tax me at that higher rate accordingly? Or will they just tax me at the basic 20% rate and expect me to make up the difference through self-assessment? Also - and again forgive my ignorance - what about NI contribuitions? For the 18 months I was doing self-assesment for the secondary income, I did not pay NI contributions on that income. Will the private company deduct NI contributions once I am on their payroll? And what did I lose from not having paid NI contributions on the secondary income for the 18 months I was doing self-assessment? Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 23 Dec 2022 08:37:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The company will initially tax you at basic rate until they receive a revised tax code from HMRC. They will not be told of your other income.

The National Insurance will be covered by your main source of employment.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.