Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Apr 2022 07:35:53 GMT by KJ
Hello, I was a UK Tax Resident from 2010 -> September 2021. I completed a UK self assessment tax return online for the last few tax years. I moved to New Zealand in September 2021 and now reside here permanently. I am going to complete my 2021/2022 UK tax return as instructed - the question I have is whether I am able to do this online via my HMRC account OR do I have to post the forms to the UK/use a tax professional with applicable software? I have received conflicting information - I spoke with a Self Assessment advisor over the phone last year who said I can complete the forms online as normal, however I have just logged in to this system and am met with a notification advising that non UK residents need to submit the assessment using another method i.e post or using applicable accounting software. Please advise. Thanks
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:34:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The online message explaining that non UK residents are unable to submit their Self Assessment tax returns online is correct. As the message goes on to say, you can either,

(a) print off the relevant Self Assessment tax return pages and post them to HMRC
(b)  you can use one of the HMRC-approved commercial software packages to submit one or more elements of your tax return online.                                                                      
Self Assessment commercial software suppliers  
Tax return for Self Assessment                                                      

Self Assessment: UK property (SA105)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.