Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:53:18 GMT by marion3js yip
Hi HMRC, I arrived UK in Dec 2020 and I was evaluated online I was not a UK tax residence in tax year20-21. Do I need to fill the form SA109 split year treatment back for the last tax year in this tax year (21-22) . On the other hand, I sold my property in Hong Kong after I arrived UK 2 months time which is I got the money in the 8 months after arrival UK, do I need to do the captain gain tax return? Please advise... Thanks for your attention..
Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 09:32:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi marion3js yip,

Please note that Split Year Treatment would only be relevant if you were in receipt of income between the date you arrived in the UK (in December 2020) and the end of the tax year ( ie 5 April 2021)

Guidance can be found here. 
 Your residence status when you move
As regards the sale of your HK property.

UK residents are required to report their worldwide Capital Gains on property via a Self Assessment tax return.       

Thank you.                                 

Posted Thu, 06 Oct 2022 10:35:02 GMT by marion3js yip
Hi HMRC, Thanks for your reply. I would like to clarify about the capital gain tax of my case. My husband and I joint name purchased a home in HK since June 2015 and sold it in Feb 2021 with the contract dated 13/02/2021. Completion date was 09/08/2021 and the money we received in 08/2021.This is our only and main residence for the whole period. Since we moved to UK in 09/12/2020. Do I need to pay any capital gains tax for 2021-2022 of my property sale in HK? Do I need to file a tax return and send a self-assessment for 2021-2022 for the sale of the property? Thank you for your attention.
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:53:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi marion3js yip,

Please refer to guidance at:
Tax when you sell your home

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.