Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 20 Mar 2023 21:19:56 GMT by Mark Seaton-fry
If I earn £54k and have paid in £4K into my pension via the workplace pension scheme into a nest pension which is relief at source, can I put on my self assessment tax return the £4K as an allowable deduction to get below the child benefit charge tax?
Posted Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:05:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mark Seaton-fry,

Guidance re: what entries to make in the 'Paying into registered pension schemes' section of your Self Assessment tax return are provided in the SA100 notes for the relevant tax year.

How to fill in your tax return (2022)    

Thank you.                          
Posted Thu, 06 Apr 2023 11:59:24 GMT by jacw001
I believe as the pension contribution has been deduced via PAYE already, so you cannot claim further reduction. having said that, if you have paid additional to your private pension pot, you can enter the value in the two boxes. It seems the total value will need to be input twice.. Payments to registered pension schemes (also known as PPR) where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider (called 'relief at source'). Enter the payments and basic rate tax box: Total of any 'one-off' payments to registered pension schemes included in the 'Payments to registered pension schemes where basic rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider' box:

You must be signed in to post in this forum.