Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:22:42 GMT by John Ambler
I am retired and a basic rate tax payer in the current tax year. I do not currently have to submit a tax return. Inflation will impact my index linked pension income in the next tax year and push me into the higher rate band. I know I will have to cancel my marriage allowance (my wife is not a tax payer and currently transfers 10% of her unused personal allowance to me), so I will wish to make a claim for partial refund of Gift Aid to offset the sharp rise in my tax bill. Do I need to fill in a full tax return to claim partial reimbursement of my Gift Aid donations or is there a simpler way to inform HMRC of my charitable donations which will amount to something like £1500 in 2023-2 tax year?
Posted Wed, 23 Nov 2022 12:54:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you do not meet the criteria for Self Assessment, you can make the claim for Gift Aid by contacting our Income Tax team.

Tax relief when you donate to a charity

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 24 Nov 2022 13:05:38 GMT by John Ambler
I was really intending to ask if there is a way to deal with this online rather than having to set aside a block of time sitting on the telephone waiting to rise to the top of the queue. It's good that I can cancel my marriage allowance online, but I can't see a way to enter data about my charitable donations without going to the phone which I always find frustrating.
Posted Mon, 28 Nov 2022 13:56:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

It can only currently be claimed by contacting our Income Tax department, or on a Tax Return if you meet any criteria.

See link:

Claim Income Tax reliefs     .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.