Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jan 2022 14:50:05 GMT by zoelinda
I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out exactly how to fill out my self-assessment in terms of living in the UK & Sweden in 2020/21. Here are the details: - I'm self-employed. - I'm a UK national and have lived in the UK my whole life before leaving. - I lived in the UK for 171 days and Sweden for 195 days. - I haven't returned to the UK since leaving and don't own a home there. - I'm registered to pay tax in Sweden. I'm not sure how to complete the HS302 form (especially tables 3(c) and 3(d)) and how much of my income I need to declare in the Self-Employed section of my Self-Assessment. I was under the impression that I would declare everything and the tax calculation would account for the double taxation agreement but that was not the case. Any help would be much appreciated.
Posted Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:02:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You will need to check your residency status for the year to determine if you are UK tax resident.

Guidance on this can be found here :

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test  .

If you are resident in both countries the HS302 should guide you through completion of the return.

If you are not finding the answer you are looking for from this, it may be best to contact us and we can talk you through what needs
to be completed based on your own individual circumstance.

Please contact us here :

Self Assessment: general enquiries  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.