Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 22 Aug 2022 18:03:48 GMT by Robert Barbulescu
Hi, I have been in the UK about 5 years now. I have initially came to study and have held a job in the UK and Romania throughout my studies. I have paid tax in each respective country but from my understanding I need to file a tax return in the UK as well. I have done this online now but it is not clear where do I add the actual income from overseas? I have added the tax an taxable income to "Employment, self-employment and other income which you paid foreign tax on", are we meant to select any of the other options such as "All other income received by a person abroad and any remitted 'ring fenced' foreign income"? Also, as I have been a student for the first 3 years, under the double taxation agreement with Romania, will I still need to declare my foreign income? I would appreciate some guidance.
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:39:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You are required to complete a Self Assessment tax return for every year (after you ceased to be a student) in which you received earnings from your Romanian employment.                                                  

Your employment details (the name of your employer, your pay before tax and the UK tax deducted) should be entered in the employment pages.                                                  
To claim any Foreign Tax Credit Relief, the relevant information should be entered in the foreign pages under the heading 'Foreign tax paid on employment, self-employment and other income'.                  

Regarding your years as a student, please see the following guidance:  

DT16055 - Romania: Students and trainees

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.