Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:19:26 GMT by LysanderWrites
Alright, I need some insight from anyone who can disentangle this situation that I am in. Context: From December 2020 to August 2021, I was working for an online teaching company based in China. I was paid via a PayPal style website in USD, which I then exchanged on the website in Pound Sterling to transfer into my UK bank account. Prior to getting that job, I was on Universal Credit. The best way of representing this job to the Universal Credit people was to change my status to self-employed. In that first December, I wasn't paid enough to push myself over the earnings threshold for Universal Credit. It was only in January 2021 that I started making enough through the online teaching job that I no longer received Universal Credit, though I had to continue to send them messages on my monthly income. The payments were in arrears, so I did not get my first earned wages from that job until January 2021 when it was too late to register for self-assessment for the 2020/21 financial year. In August 2021 I emigrated to Japan to start another teaching job and the Chinese online teaching company closed down. This was due to changes in regulations inside of China, so that job was over. I earned less than £10,000 during the months when I was working that online teaching job. Now, I registered with Universal Credit as self-employed because that was the only way I saw to register my job with a company based outside of the UK. But, I am at a loss as to how to proceed because I have since emigrated and the job earned me less than the standard threshold. Technically, I was working for a company but I fall into that 'worker' category between employed and self-employed. Any help on this would be great.
Posted Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:47:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 18

The best thing would be to check your contract with the Chinese employer to see under what grounds you were working for them. HMRC cannot determine this for you. However, guidance on whether you would be classed as self employed or not can be found here:

Working for yourself

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.