Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Jan 2023 17:56:35 GMT by Eduard M
I am completing my tax return for 2021/22 and will claim for the working from home tax allowance of £312 as I worked from home during covid during this period. Then I realised I didn’t claim for this allowance on the 2020/21 self-assessment tax return. So the question is whether I can claim for both years in the 2021/22 tax return (i.e. claiming for £312 x 2 = £624), or I need to do something else to claim that money back for the 2020/21 return separately. Thanks
Posted Wed, 04 Jan 2023 20:55:03 GMT by Adam
I have the same question with the variation that 21/22 is my first SA return.
Posted Wed, 04 Jan 2023 21:26:28 GMT by Eduard M
I finally managed to speak to somebody in the HMRC helpline. For reference you cannot claim for both years in the 2021/22 tax return. What you need to do is to claim £312 in the 2021/22 tax return, and then either amend the 2020/21 tax return or file a P87 to claim last year's £312 (Income Tax relief claim for employment expenses) Hope this helps
Posted Fri, 06 Jan 2023 15:45:58 GMT by
Hi Eduard M,

You can amend the 20/21  tax return to claim the amount.

If you need to change your return

Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.