Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 03 Jun 2023 11:17:19 GMT by Alex88
Hi, I was fined over £1000 last year for an unpaid £100 late self assessment submission. This was not paid as I do not complete self assessment. However my tax code was changed from 1267L to 249LX in November to recover this fine from my PAYE wages. I appealed the original fine and this was upheld and the fine was cancelled. This was after I had already made the payment through my salary. I contacted HMRC in late March for a refund but I was told that after 14th March there was an embargo on amending tax records due to being near the end of the tax year. I have attempted contact several times over the last week when I got through to Self Assessment I was told I needed to talk to the PAYE department, however they said I need to discuss this with Self Assessment. I was transferred over again but cut off. I made several more attempts to get through but kept getting cut off. Please can you advise me on how/when I can get a refund on the fine which was paid and then cancelled, and which department I should speak to? Thankyou
Posted Wed, 07 Jun 2023 12:17:46 GMT by Alex88
Any help would be appreciated?
Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 10:55:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Alex88,

If you are not required to complete a Self-Assessment tax return for 22/23, then when we peform a PAYE end of year calculation this would calculate an overpayment of tax.
Please contact our helpline again Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.