Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 12:09:37 GMT by
Hi there, I have opened two S&S ISAs - this was not done intentionally. I thought was a trial account - but I have received a 'free' share by opening the account. I have then opened a second account intentionally with a different provider. This is where the vast majority of my ISA allowance funding is allocated. Separately - I was prompted to add funds to an existing S&S ISA from previous Tax Year so that there would be sufficient Cash so that my investments would not need to be sold to be able to pay the fund, admin and service fees. I am hoping to consolidate all these S&S ISAs eventually but while I have not exceeded the allowance (when combining the total investment across all ISAs) that this will be OK.
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 13:48:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi JHBEM,
Whilst there are 4 different types of ISA, you can only open/pay into one of each type per year.
You will need to close one of them.
Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 14:13:13 GMT by
Thank you - I am going to close the one that I thought was a trial. Can I confirm about having paid some money to an existing S&S ISA for purchases of paying the Admin charges? As I opened a new one with another provider with the purpose of (ironically) paying lower admin fees.
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 16:36:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Can you clarify what you mean please?
Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 15:25:43 GMT by
The only reason that I had to make a cash injection to one of the S&S ISAs is that they emailed me saying that if I did not then they would sell some of my shares in order to pay for Admin/Service fees. I felt this was somewhat unfair - but I reluctantly paid in some money. I then, only after making the payment, noted that it then counted towards my Tax-free allowance, which was most frustrating.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.