Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Jan 2023 18:53:39 GMT by Sigrid
Hi, I have used my 2k dividend allowance with UK dividends for the tax year 2021- 2022. I also received dividends from France and Spain. On the broker tax forms, I can see the tax witheld by France and Spain at respectively 26.5% and 23.5%. I am a high earner and I am supposed to pay 38.1% tax in the UK. Can I claim tax relief for 26.5% and 23.5% on the foreign tax paid on my tax return? Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:00:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sigrid,

You will need to declare the foreign dividends in the foreign section of the Self Assessment tax return (entries must be in pounds sterling) and claim FTCR for each foreign dividend entry.  

Please check the double taxation agreements for France and Spain.

Tax treaties

This guidance will show you how much tax relief you are entitled to.

When entering the dividend and tax deducted using the online return, you will need to show the percentage of relief available, eg. 15%.
At the end of the entries, click on 'add' and repeat for each foreign country you have dividends from.  

This will allow you to sumarise your foreign dividends before saving and continuing.

Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.