Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:21:27 GMT by Bex
Hi, I originally registered for self assessment when I was doing some self employed work as an actress. I informed HMRC a few years ago when I stopped as I didn't want to unnecessarily fill out self assessment tax forms and I was then a PAYE employee. I am now looking to set up my own business as a sole trader so will need to restart self assessment. Do I need to inform anyone of this, or do I just request the self assessment forms when the time comes, as I am still registered? My business name will be different, does that matter, and is it relevant when it's just sole trader and so not registered with Companies House? Thanks
Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:34:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will need to complete form CWF1 to register as Self-Employed, and on processing we will re-activate the UTR you previously had.

If you were to just register for Self Assessment, you may not be charged the correct amount of National Insurance when you complete your tax returns.

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.