Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 01 Oct 2021 16:42:12 GMT by YBHally
Hi, My employer grants me shares as part of my annual compensation package. Upon selling multiple shares with multiple different grant/vest dates, I need to pay CGT. I want to pay using the real time Capital Gains Tax portal but all the questions as designed as though I am answering for shares that all had the same grant/vest dates. This is not the case. Should I complete the questionnaire multiple times for each unique grant/vest date and state that I owe £0 CGT until I start logging a sale that will have taken my running total above the £12,300 allowance?
Posted Mon, 04 Oct 2021 11:20:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Please see the link below as Section 104 holding may apply.

HS284 Shares and Capital Gains Tax (2021)

You can report a capital gain using the real time Capital Gains Tax service.

Capital Gains Tax

Thank you.

Posted Tue, 05 Oct 2021 08:47:17 GMT by YBHally
Thank you. My question is more about 'how' to use the real time Capital Gains Tax service in this scenario. I sold 5 different sets of shares on the same day but each of these sets of shares have different dates for when I became the owner. The real time Capital Gains Tax service only asks the question "When did you become the owner of the shares?". Should I complete the real time Capital Gains Tax service 5 times? If so, what should I do when entering the capital gains tax allowance for each sale? Individually none of these 5 sales goes over the capital gains tax free allowance but cumulatively they do. Should I split the capital gains tax allowance between each of the 5 sales?
Posted Tue, 05 Oct 2021 10:00:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If these are the same kind of shares in the same company then you should consider the section 104 holding.

Guidance on this can be found here :

Shares and Capital Gains Tax (Self Assessment helpsheet HS284)   .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.