Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 May 2022 09:40:14 GMT by EllieD
I have been registered as an overseas landlord, having been resident in Ireland from 2017 to 2021. Being overseas, I had to submit my UK self-assessment in hard copy by post each year by the October deadline. In September 2021, I relocated back to the UK permanently and so was only non-resident for part of the tax year to April 2022. Can you please advise if, now I am UK resident again, I can complete my self-assessment online this year? Or do I still have to complete the tax return for the 21/22 tax year in hard copy by post as I was non-resident for part of the year? Thanks in advance
Posted Thu, 19 May 2022 12:05:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi EllieD

If you determine you are UK resident for the tax year you can now register to send your self assessment online.  
You would include your income from Ireland in the Foreign section of the form as you need to declare your worldwide income.
You can also review the Split Year Treatment rules which means you only declare your UK income on the tax return form, however this would still require you to complete the Residency page (send by post)  
RDRM12030 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: When will split year treatment apply

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.