Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 19:31:38 GMT by PFsea
I don't understand the advice  - the tax reclaimed on his pension contributions can arrive anytime after and if it so happens to be the next tax year why is that a problem? Its not their fault, and the contribution+tax relief is within the intended £3600. The advice seems quite perverse, I'd just enter the £2880+720 for each tax year otherwise its complication for complications sake - quite mad!
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 22:12:52 GMT by phguk
Sorry if I am being dense - I am still confused about which fields I need to complete in the "Paying into registered pension schemes & overseas pension schemes" section the SA form. As background I'm a higher rate tax-payer and as an employee make monthly salary/payroll-based payments to my pension pot. Additionally in 2021-22 I made a one-off payment (say £10,000) to my pension fund from taxed income. Do I use this figure as the answer for both boxes 01 and 05 ?
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 11:32:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi phguk,
There is no box 5 for pension relief, please refer to the guidance notes on how to complete your return - How to fill in your tax return
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:16:01 GMT by phguk
Actually in the online self-assessment there is a box 5. Let me restate my question referring to the paper self-assessment form fields for section "Paying into registered pension schemes and overseas pension schemes". In 2021-22 I made a one-off payment (say £10,000) to my pension fund from taxed income, in addition to monthly salary/payroll contributions to my pension pot. Do I use this figure (£10,000) as the answer for both boxes 01 and 1.1 ?
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 08:29:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi phguk,
No, you will need to check to see if your one off payment received tax relief at source and if the payments to your company pension are deducted before or after tax.
Please refer to the link in the previous reply on how to complete.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:48:15 GMT by
I am doing my self assessment. I am a higher tax payer and my pension is not taken at source. It is take after wages are taxed. For the tax year 2022-23 my tax code was adjusted for pension relief because of this. When filling in the self assessment do I put the amount of pension contributions in it and where? Also I do the self assessment for the child benefit charge, so do I take my pension contributions plus the basic rate of tax off my income so I get my adjusted net income amount?
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 12:22:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Laura Quarry

On the tailor your tax return section on your online tax return page 3 of 3 you would answer yes to the question - Did you make contributions towards a personal pension or retirement annuity?
This will open the section online to claim the relief on your contributions.
When you enter the details this will then adjust your income for the Higher Income Child Benefit Charge. 

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.