Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 13:44:59 GMT by Vivian Linstrom
We are currently the process of trying to register ourselves as agents with a number of trusts, however not all the trustees are able to create a government gateway account to give us permission to do this on their behalf. Is there another way for an agent to get access to the TRS?
Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:25:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please contact the Trust helpline on

0300 123 1072  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 Jun 2022 14:36:57 GMT by Vivian Linstrom
I tried that before and they explained that they would need the trustees to call and talk them through the process, however this is not appropriate for all our trustees. When I explained this, they said that it would be difficult process without setting up the government gateway account.
Posted Wed, 15 Jun 2022 10:33:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please speak to our techncial online services who can advise : 0300 200 3600 .

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 Jun 2022 07:57:53 GMT by Ian Evetts
I'm trying to register a bare trust set up several years ago. I already have a Government Gateway ID and associated UTR that I use for tax returns. The trust registration process says that I need an ORGANISATION GG ID though rather than a personal one. Do I need to set this up? If so, do I also need to set up a new UTR too - for a trust that I don't need to pay tax on? There is very little in the way of online help with the trust registration process currently.
Posted Mon, 20 Jun 2022 07:27:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Please contact the Trusts team for advice:


Thank you.
Posted Wed, 22 Jun 2022 15:39:15 GMT by Ian Evetts
I called the Trust helpline as advised by yourselves. This was a chaotic call, barely audible and the person on the line, although helpful, had to keep going and asking for advice. The verbal advice given was that bare trusts did not need to be registered. I was surprised to learn this as it directly contradicts HMRC advice here: Can you confirm in writing please?
Posted Thu, 23 Jun 2022 14:35:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

We are unable to issue letters on the customer forum.  If you require a letter to your address you must contact your own tax office to request :

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 23 Jun 2022 15:12:13 GMT by Ian Evetts
I meant by confirming on this forum. Can you, representing HMRC, confirm the information I was given over the phone verbally by HMRC is correct? The written information on the HMRC website via this link appears to contradict the verbal advice:
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 09:59:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Sorry, we do not have access to customer accounts on this forum.

You can write to HMRC for queries about trusts here:

HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:06:55 GMT by Ian Evetts
That’s useful. Thank you
Posted Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:14:42 GMT by Douglas Babbers
I was trustee for a bare trust of a child investment saving plan. The trust was terminated in February 2021 and the money transferred to a child ISA. Does the bare trust still need to be registered? One of the former trustees thinks yes, because the trust existed after the cut off date of October 2020. Please can you advise
Posted Thu, 11 Aug 2022 12:47:08 GMT by Ian Evetts
This is not an answer to the previous post, just contains some basic info for set up prior to registering a trust. Hope it is useful. 1 click on REGISTER NOW at very bottom of screen. You now need to create a Government Gateway ID ((GG ID) to associate with this trust. 2 click on Create sign-in details NB each trust requires its own GG ID 3 You are prompted for an email address to associate with this GG ID enter email. That email will be sent a 6 digit code. Retrieve. 4 enter code sent to email You are prompted for your full name and then prompted to create a password Government Gateway ID is now created and you will get an email with the details - but not the password which you should add to your online password manager or similar. 5 choose the type of account you need Select type as organisation 6 set up additional security. Choose one of the following: add a mobile phone for security texts or authenticator app or voice call 7 and then via a series of questions enter your trust details 8 At finish you are required to confirm a pre-written declaration after which the Unique Reference Number is generated and linked to the Government Gateway ID generated earlier. At this point you also get the option to print or save the registration details. To amend atrust later - for security you need to enter Lead Trustees details and details of A N Other trustee. Once you have done this you can amend info as required and confirm by making a new declaration. Note * you cannot amend the name of a trust once you have created it. * you are also logged out of the system after 30 mins of inactivity. * you can pause the registration process before completion and save all info entered, but the info will only be retained for 30 days

[Link removed - Admin]
Posted Fri, 12 Aug 2022 11:48:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You can find guidance here:

Manage your trust's details

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.