Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 13 Dec 2021 15:11:00 GMT by Denise Lada
On 'View your Calculation' part of my return it gives one amount that I have to pay but on 'Your Self Assessment Tax Bill' it gives a different amount. The latter is because I was checking into paying in installments. Which is the correct one to pay?
Posted Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:17:33 GMT by Margaret Allen
View your calculation is the amount you pay. That's the HMRC tax calculation on the figures you've put in.
Posted Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:41:33 GMT by Denise Lada
Thank you. But why then does the tax bill show a different amount?
Posted Tue, 14 Dec 2021 15:54:43 GMT by Denise Lada
Just re looking through my paperwork on 'view your calculation' it says that it doesn't include any payment on account that I made the previous year. Which I did. Could that count for the difference? I am sorry to be so ignorant but I only moved back to the UK in 2019 so this is really all new to me.
Posted Wed, 15 Dec 2021 09:03:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

The calculation does not take into account any payments you have already made or your current statement position.

If you are unsure you can contact Self Assessment see link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries    .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 Dec 2021 12:44:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

It could be.

The calculation needs to show how much tax is due for the year.

It does not take into account any payments made.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 Dec 2021 12:49:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

The bill would take into account the current position including any payments you have made.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 Dec 2021 17:18:16 GMT by Denise Lada
Thank you . That is what I was hoping since it is less than the calculation :)
Posted Thu, 16 Dec 2021 08:33:47 GMT by Jessica Wade
I can't answer for the legalities (the government makes stuff up all the time), but if your income is 100% PAYE, it's pretty straightforward; you simply copy and paste your P60 into the applicable Self Assessment form. It's pretty easy and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes (although make sure you register a month prior, as it takes time to get the credentials).
Posted Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:40:40 GMT by Denise Lada
Thanks for the reply Jessica but I am retired so no PAYE

You must be signed in to post in this forum.