Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Apr 2022 13:05:19 GMT by Anesa Hosein
Hello, I recently signed up for ALCS during this tax year (author licensing and collecting society) - which collects fees for copyright normally in the last three years for articles (but can be forever with regards to books). I am also employed. I got a large payment from them which has sent me into the next tax bracket (which affects my childcare vouchers and child benefit). The income however from ALCS was from different years with the largest income from 2018, It's a bit unfair (I think!) because I signed up this year, I got all of the income due to me in the last 3 years sent to me now. I'm just wondering within the context of "income arising" - is it the income paid to you in the current tax year, or income earned? I'm trying to figure out whether I could put some of the income into the relevant tax year when it was earned ...
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 13:08:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

If you are using the cash basis then the income is treated as occurring when it is received -

See  Business Income Manual

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.