Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:32:21 GMT by Jia Zheng
I moved to UK from Hong Kong in Aug 2021 and I am UK resident during 2021/22. I disposed a Hong Kong Residential Property in Oct 2021. According to UK and Hong Kong double tax treaty article 13, the gain from the disposal of immovable property is taxed in the country where the property is located. Is it correct to understand that the gain is only taxable in Hong Kong and is not subject UK tax at all and there no tax due on the remittance of proceeds to the UK as well?
Posted Tue, 17 Jan 2023 10:37:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As you are resident in the UK, the gain is taxable in the UK also. you can claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief for the tax paid in Hong Kong to reduce the tax bill in the UK

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:12:20 GMT by Gaga
Dear Admin, If the HK property has been my only and main residence for the whole period of ownership, does it mean I'm entitled to full Personal Residence Relief and No need to file self-accessment ? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 20 Jan 2023 15:33:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Gaga,

Yes full residence relief will be due.
If this was the only reason for completing the tax return then no, you do not need to do a return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.