Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 03 Nov 2022 09:41:42 GMT by Man Wong
Hi, I have just submitted my self-assessment tax return. The calculation shows that I am not charged any tax on my income, but I have chosen to pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily, do I pay through this link here? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 12:39:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If this was for your 2021/22 tax return, and you have requested to play voluntary class 2, you should pay this directly to Self Assessment.

Pay your Self Assessment tax bill

If you have not paid it by 31 January 2023, and still wish to do so, you will need to speak to National Insurance team to pay it directly to them.

National Insurance: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:29:46 GMT by
I am self employed and filled a self-assessment form for the period April 2021- April 2022. I didn’t make enough income during this period to qualify to pay tax, Class 4 or Class 2. However I chose to make a voluntary contribution of Class 2. I paid the amount to self assessment and it said the amount would be taken on the 31st Jan 2023. The payment was never been taken and my NI record is showing as 'Year not full' for that period.
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 10:57:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will need to ensure that you registered to pay Class 2 when you started self employment for the payment to be taken. You can see guidance here:

Pay Class 2 National Insurance if you do not pay through Self Assessment

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 06 Dec 2023 18:37:22 GMT by Man Wong
Hi, I encountered the same issue as Amanda. I have paid the voluntary contribution of Class 2 to self assessment, but my NI record shows "Year is not full. We are checking this year to see if it counts towards your pension. We’ll update your record when this is finished, you do not need to do anything." When you say "to register to pay Class 2", can you clarify where to register?
Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 16:55:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Please telephone the National Insurance helpline on 300 200 3500 (Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays).
They will be able to help you register for National Insurance (you will need to know your NINO).
They can also help you with any arrears of NIC, but they cannot advise is you should pay any arrears.
National Insurance: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.