Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:44:46 GMT by taxpayr9203
I'm a higher rater taxpayer contributing to a defined contribution pension with relief at source. A) If I carry forward unused pension allowance from past years do I have to make the additional contributions into the same pension plan that I was using in those past years or can I use the allowance to a contribution for my current plan (changed employers recently which led to change in pension plans)? B) Also, my understanding is that when I gross up (multiply by 1.25) the pension contributions to reduce my adjusted net income and to calculate contribution towards the pension allowance - I should include ALL contributions (incl. employer's contributions and HMRC tax relief at 20% in both cases). Is this correct?
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 13:42:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

The allowance is for the year and not specific to one pension plan so you can carry forward for use against a different pension plan.

All contirbutions should be included. Guidance on the pensions charge and the use of carry forward allowances can be found here :

Pension savings - tax charges (Self Assessment helpsheet HS345) .

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:20:06 GMT by taxpayr9203
This is really helpful. Thank you! Final question: When is a pension contribution "deemed" to have been made? The day it appears in the pension plan account or the day it is deducted from my salary as per my payslip?
Posted Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:08:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You can find guidance on how the annual allowance is measured and what payments count towards this here:

PTM051100 - Annual allowance: essential principles

Your pension provider should be able to provide this information for you. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.