Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Oct 2021 17:20:12 GMT by marcusthethird
Dear HMRC, I was hoping you may be able to advise, I may recieve a divident from an Irish based company in the future. I am a UK tax resident, non-domiciled (Irish Domiciled, moved to UK in 2016). I have two questions regarding the tax implications of this, 1. If I receive a dividend in Ireland and do not bring it into the UK (i.e. payed into an Irish bank account and not brought into the UK) would I be liable to UK tax on that dividend held in an Irish account? 2. If I did decide to bring that dividend income into the UK - how would that be treated? Will it be charged at the UK dividend rate or is ther a flat fee? Kind Regards, 
Posted Tue, 05 Oct 2021 10:10:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are claiming the remittance basis then you would only pay tax on this when the income was brought into the UK:

Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1    .

If you are declaring this to the UK then it would be charged at the normal dividend tax rate.  See link:

Tax on dividends    .

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Oct 2021 20:13:35 GMT by marcusthethird
Thank you very much for that, I have a query related to the documentation. 1) Is the years resident counted by the tax year to April or by the calender year from when I moved to the UK? And 2) If I moved to the UK, and started paying tax, in September 2016, how many years am I tax resident in the UK currently 5 or 6? (As in does the sept 16 to April 17 count as year 0 or year 1). Essentially in am wondering when I will become 7 year's tax resident April 22, September 22 or April or September 2023. (I have never lived in the uk prior to sept 2016 and have been a full time resident since then) Thanks, Marcus
Posted Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:57:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

For UK purposes it is calculated based on the tax year, April to April.

Your first year to check for UK residency would be 16/17, as this was the year of arrival.

This would be year 1 if you are classed as tax resident for that year.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:46:25 GMT by marcusthethird
Thank you for that so am o right in assuming that as of April 2022 I will be in my seventh year, bit I won't have been resident for 7 of the last 9 until the end of that tax year i.e. April 2023?
Posted Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:42:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi marcusthethird

If you were resident from the year 16/17 then your 7 th year would be 22/23.

Thankyou.

Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.