Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 16 Jan 2023 11:42:25 GMT by Alex B
Hi, I am currently unemployed, but am generating some income from game development that I do as a hobby on the popular game platform Roblox. I am entirely out of my depth when it comes to the world of tax, and I would really appreciate some advice on action I have to take. I have two sources of income from my game development. Firstly, my games generate in-game currency (which can only be spent on the Roblox platform), and I can then choose to "cash-out" an amount of in-game currency once every calendar month to its equivalent value in USD. This is sent to my paypal account in USD ($) from the Roblox Corporation. Secondly, an external limited company pays me to host some content in my games. I get a standard rate for every user that interacts with this content, which is paid to me once a month via bank transfer. The company sends me a reverse invoice, and the money as a remittance. I want to check that both of these income sources classify me as self employed / a sole trader for tax purposes, and that I am required to complete a self assessment tax return on my income if it is in excess of £1000. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 15:16:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to guidance at

Working for yourself

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.