Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:21:22 GMT by KikiA
What are all the people who use the GOV.UK Verify option to access their personal and self assessment accounts going to do after April 1st? I have tried to create a Government Gateway account but do not have a UK passport or a NI driving licence, therefore my identity cannot be verified depsite me already having filed a self assessment tax return last year, meaning there is a record of me in the system. Does this mean that the thousands of people whose identities cannot be verified through Government Gateway will not have any access to online services? How is that going to work? How am I supposed to fill in my self assessment return this year? Through the post? Can someone please help?
Posted Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:02:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you are unable to verify using the Government Gateway you will need to file a paper tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 18 Mar 2022 16:24:10 GMT by steve7189
What a ridiculous state of affairs, completely unacceptable. I've been going round in circles for a month and racked up more than £50 in phone calls to HMRC trying to get online access. My situation is worse, not owning a mobile. Verifying your ID in a post office or government office, along with 2 stage authentication via either a mobile or land line simply must be made to work. Other than that, I simply refuse to use phone calls to HMRC any longer, and will be using email until you sort things out.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.