Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 24 Mar 2022 17:10:18 GMT by Luca Liguori
Hello, I received a Self-Assessment Late tax return Penalty letter for year ended 5 April 2021!! I'm employed since January 2019 with the classic PAYE scheme!! Why have I to pay this penalty?Why I have send a tax return?? Please help!
Posted Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:32:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can view our Self Assessment criteria here, if you do not meet the criteria you can contact us to check if we can cancel the return request.

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 11:59:45 GMT by Katyjane
I wrote to HMRC to withdraw the request for a self-assessment and was told by email that I would receive written confirmation within 15 days. This was in January and I received no confirmation. I have since sent self-assessment regardless but frustrated that I received no confirmation either way, and was penalised for a late return. Is this a valid reason for a late return?
Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 13:22:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Katyjane,

If you did not meet criteria for completing the return, you can contact our helpline who can review the penalty.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 14:18:08 GMT by CarolynGinley
Hi, My father is terminally ill on the end of life pathway. He has not worked since November 2020 when he was diagnosed, prior to that he was not self-employed but he has now received today a letter date 8th march 2022 - a penalty notice for a late self assessment. I have been been trying get through all day and I am on hold again now for over 45 minutes. I can't stay on the phone as I caring for my Dad. Can anyone help.
Posted Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:18:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi CarolynGinley

Unfortunately we cannot comment on specific cases.

Please persist in trying to contact the tax office to discuss with an adviser who can review the case.

Contact HMRC

Thankyou.

Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.