Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 27 Jan 2023 11:53:57 GMT by Amos Rowell
Hi, I finished paying my student loan half way through the tax year (2021/22) and paid £2301 in deductions. The self assessment calculator keeps calculating that I owe £6110 in student loan, even though I've confirmed with the Student Loans Company (SLC) that my balance is 0. I keep going back and forth between HRMC and SLC and neither are able to resolve - has anyone had this before/can help? THanks!
Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 14:01:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Once you have submitted the tax return, allow 72 hours for it to process and then contact our Self Assessment team. We can then refer you to our Student Loans Unit who will be able to review the calculation.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 00:18:07 GMT by Lazyricketts
I have noticed exactly the same thing when I have submitted my self assessment this time around. During the last tax year I paid £398 and my student loan was finally paid off in full. However on my self assessment it has added another £2500. What are the contact details for your Self Assessment team? When I went to make the payment for tax owed I took off the amount that has been overcharged - the student loan was paid in full in May 2021. Will this cause any complications? Thank You
Posted Fri, 03 Feb 2023 14:24:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Lazyricketts,

Our contact details are here:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 20 Mar 2023 11:59:51 GMT by Richard
Hi, I also am experiencing this issue where my self assessment calculation is trying to charge £5K in ‘underpaid’ student loan payments, although I cleared the balance of my student loan during the tax year. Reading through the forums, there seem to be two suggested approaches to this. Either to select ‘no’ on the self assessment student loans section, and then add a comment in additional information stating that you paid off your student loan in that tax year. Or as this thread suggests to submit the calculation and then contact HMRC to adjust the balance retrospectively. Please can I ask which is the advised method out of these two? Also if anyone has comments about their experience of sorting this issue that would be gratefully received. Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.