Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 08:56:24 GMT by KT Kung
Hi there, My spouse was unemployed during the last tax year. Now he got a job which started in early May 2023. And I have no other income other than my salary. For this case, both of us do not need to complete the self assessment return. But my spouse can apply for marriage allowance to transfer the allowance to me for the period that he was unemployed, is this correct please? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 14:20:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If he meets the criteria he can apply here

 Marriage Allowance

Thank you
Posted Thu, 14 Sep 2023 10:17:47 GMT by KT Kung
Hi there, As mentioned, he got a job now and his income is higher than the personal allowance. So when should he cancel the marriage allowance after applying for the marriage allowance refund for the last tax year? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:41:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi KT Kung,

If your spouse contacts the Income Tax department we can update the record to cancel the transfer from the end of the current tax year if it is in place for this year.
Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.