Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 18:38:10 GMT by nick zg99
Dear HMRC, I have one UK investment account in 2018. I made some capital loss in this account. It is the end of 2022 now. Can I still register this capital loss via HMRC? How can I do that?
Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 14:36:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Capital losses must be notified within 4 years of the end of the tax year in which they arise so if the loss you refer to is for year end 05/04/2018, it is now too late to report this and use it.
Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances
Posted Thu, 01 Dec 2022 14:52:24 GMT by nick zg99
this happens in the later 2018. Is there a penalty if I submit this capital loss in the self assessment for 2018-2019 year now?
Posted Fri, 02 Dec 2022 16:07:52 GMT by
Hi nick zg99,

You do not need to submit a tax return to declare it.You can do this by letter.

As it is for the year end 5/4/19, you will need to ensure the information is submitted prior to 05/04/23.

You should give the details of the company involved, the date and amount of original investment and the reason for the loss

Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 03 Dec 2022 15:41:34 GMT by nick zg99
Can you please give me the address I should send the letter to?
Posted Wed, 07 Dec 2022 14:44:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The address is:

PAYE & Self Assessment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.