Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Apr 2022 12:09:03 GMT by littlefish ff
Hi, I have the following incomes during 2021-2022 tax year. Please advise if I must file my tax return or not. Thank you very much. 1) Interests from foreign and local banks and dividend from stock which are less than 1000 pounds 2) Cash gift from a family member before moving to UK and becoming UK tax resident. I received the money in late April 2021 and arrived UK in May 2021.
Posted Fri, 08 Apr 2022 11:22:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 28

Please follow the criteria tool to determine if you are required to complete a tax return form:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:47:40 GMT by Emilian Claudiu Brad
Hi. I don't know I'm I can ask here but I don't know where to ask.... They all give all different answer to me people working from customer service. Good morning. Me and my wife had the wedding in 2018. In Romania ,bot in UK. We had wedding at about 330 people and we got wedding gift from our invited people in cash at about 9000£. We kept the money in cash at home for personal reasons sometimes. When the pandemic came on 2020,had bad days about work etc,we needed the money on the card because that's the way we pay mortgage bills etc like everyone. We added the money in bits transactions through the post office, but on my wife personal account ,not on mine because me being self employed,didn't want to mix the money deposited to make mess etc. We have no evidence they were from wedding,but they were from there. HMRC just have to trust or I don't know. All we can show is the marriage certificate from 2018 to show we had wedding. And the money came as gift in cash anvelope like everyone does when goes to a wedding. Is that all ok what we done or we need to pay tax on wedding gift? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Apr 2022 14:34:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

You would not need to complete a Self Assessment to declare the income. You would only need to report any interest generated by the income if interest had arisen.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Apr 2022 21:02:06 GMT by littlefish ff
Thank you for your reply. I am not sure if I need to report foreign income, i.e. savings interest and dividend via self assessment even though they are less than £1000 and £2000 respectively and they are my only income. Because it states: “You usually need to fill in a Self Assessment tax return if you’re a UK resident with foreign income or capital gains.” on Thank you for your advice.
Posted Fri, 29 Apr 2022 07:36:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If the only income from abroad is dividends or your total dividends, including UK dividends is less than £2000, then you would not be required to complete a Self Assessment form.  

If you have interest from a foreign bank account you would be required to complete a form. There is no income limits when checking Self Assessment criteria in this case. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.