Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 01 May 2022 14:58:16 GMT by Levente
Hello, Something puzzling on my SA 'view your full calculation' page: my tax code was 1357L then 1388L (due to Covid work-from-home expenses claimed toward the end of the tax year)... but the calculation page shows the following: "minus Personal Allowance £12,570.00" This 1. does not match my personal allowance as per above, 2. thus results in unexpected tax due. Will this somehow update itself after SA is submitted and would it take into account what my actual personal allowances were during that year? Thank you in advance for any help in understanding this discrepancy.
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 18:26:06 GMT by Levente
I tried a few times to see if it recalculates the above, but it is adamant that my personal allowance for last year was the default 12570, which is not accurate (as mentioned, tax code was higher and then changed to even higher temporarily). Once I submit, would it realise what my actual tax codes thus personal allowances were during 2021/2022? Thank you for any thoughts - as this is the only thing stopping me from submitting SA.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 11:00:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

The Personal Allowance was £12,570 for 21/22, if your code was 1388L there was something else included in your tax code,
if you are unsure what this was you should clarify the tax code with our Income Tax department :

Income Tax: general enquiries    .

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 12:09:42 GMT by Levente
Indeed, so as listed, there were other things included in code - so if those were my codes as per taxcoding notices, why does now SA calculation consider default 12570? It is very puzzling, and it then leads to apparent underpayment despite having only PAYE tax deductions as per the issued codes.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 13:24:15 GMT by Levente
As it may help others, via the phone just managed to figure it out and makes sense - and most definitely I was not the only person with this discrepancy: The Covid working from home expenses for 2021/2022 were claimed via another form that then resulted in change of tax code - this needs to be shown in expenses in the SA form, too! I imagined it all gets combined somehow behind the scenes, but it is not the case. Thus, SA form has to include this expense and then things will fall in line.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 14:17:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

The Self Assessment calculation does not take into account your PAYE code, as the calculation done is
based purely on the information you enter on the return.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 May 2022 14:58:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

The SA calculation will always show the default Personal Allowance unless it has been restricted. if you have entered an amount of Expenses on the return,
this would show as an Allowable Expenses figure rather than an increased Personal Allowance.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.