Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Jul 2022 21:39:03 GMT by Sam Gilman
Hi, I appear to have been issued a penalty for late filing of a tax return for the year ending April 2020, but I didn't need to submit for self assessment until 20/21. I also only claim for MAR so I should never owe tax other than my PAYE. I did not receive email notifications of messages and have only by chance seen this tonight. I'm not sure why I would need to submit a form for the 19/20 year, this seems wrong and I have now appealed.
Posted Mon, 01 Aug 2022 12:37:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you contact our Self Assessment department, we can advise why the return had been requested.

See link:

Self Assessment: general enquiries     .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 02 Aug 2022 11:46:37 GMT by Magdalena Jaworska
Hi, I received a letter today that I owe £2466 to HMRC for overdue returns and penalties for the period 2019-2021. I started my self-employment in November 2017 but it didn't work out so I canceled my self-employment in December 2017 and I have done my self-assessment in May 2018. Today, out of the blue I received a letter from HMRC with a £2466 penalty. This is clearly an error but I can get through since 9 am (4 hours of trying) as it cuts me off after a few minutes of waiting and there is no chat option either. Please advise what can I do to resolve this quickly? Many thanks 
Posted Thu, 04 Aug 2022 13:18:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You will need to continue trying to get through to our helpline, we are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. Or you can contact us in writing.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.