Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 05 Sep 2021 19:11:49 GMT by OIi from Reading
I understand I can claim £6/week due to having had to work from home last year, but I've been all through all the self assessment pages I can find and can't see any box to fill in to claim this. I know there's an online portal specific to this claim but it's only appropriate for this year not last year. Only references only say "claim through SA" but don't say how. Or is it just something to fill in on an "other information" box? Can you advise how to make this claim through SA.
Posted Wed, 08 Sep 2021 10:08:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

This would be claimed on the employment pages.

There is a question which asks if you are claiming expenses and then you would enter the amount on the following page.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 08 Sep 2021 13:37:43 GMT by OIi from Reading
Thanks for the response... but on the employment page "Taxable benefits and expenses" page there's lots of benefits (ie things I've received already which should count as income) and "Expenses payments received and balancing charges" which is payments I've received. Then on "Tailor your return" there's the question "Do you want to claim other tax reliefs and deductions, for example, community investment tax relief, venture capital trust shares, maintenance / alimony payments?" but when I enable that it gives me an extra two pages of boxes, none of which looks right. When you say "enter the amount on the following page" do you just mean the employment "any other information" page? I can put it into there but I appreciate it's then not going to be automatically included in calculations and needs to be reviewed by a human, which seems an odd approach when it applies to millions of submissions. Could you let me know which boxes you were specifically referring to? Thanks
Posted Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:30:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

When completing the employment page there is a question asking if you wish to claim employment expenses. You will then come to an 'employment expenses' page and should enter the expenses in the other expenses box.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 15 Sep 2021 10:09:34 GMT by OIi from Reading
Thanks for the response, but the only box similar to the one you describe is I think designed for the opposite purpose. I believe you're referring to the "Taxable benefits and expenses" page (subtitled "Employment benefits and expenses - information found on your P11D"). This does not have an "other expenses box" it only has: * "Other benefits (including interest-free and low interest loans)" which is not appropriate * "Expenses payments received and balancing charges" which is for me to declare an expense I've received and comes from P11D N16 Are you saying I should fill in the "Expenses payments received" box with a payment I have not received? I will do that if it's the right thing to do but it feels like I'm then making a fraudulent claim. I have searched on the page for the word "expenses" and there's no other box. There is no "other information" on that box, but there is on the "any other information about this employment" which I will use if I can't get other guidance. I can't believe it's this difficult to make a claim for something that I'd think a large percentage of the population would claim, but I can't find any reference to COVID across the whole of the SA forms (except for correcting an incorrectly paid previous COVID payment). I must be doing something wrong but still don't know what it is.
Posted Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:30:33 GMT by OIi from Reading
Update on my previous post. I hadn't realised there were two sub-pages for employment, "taxable benefits and expenses" and "employment expenses" - I was looking on the former but the latter has a "Other expenses and capital allowances" for which the help link refers to working from home. I'm sure I'd looked at that page previously, but I was looking for a "covid allowance" box. Thanks for your help Oli
Posted Thu, 16 Sep 2021 15:49:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If you are also completing the page for employment benefits, there should be a page after this for employment expenses if you have answered yes to claiming expenses at the bottom of the employment page .

There is a box for 'other expenses' on the employment expenses page.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.